Networking skills are essential to getting ahead in the real world, but sometimes we don’t get the chance to learn them until it’s too late. Here’s a list of tips that Circus Killer News’ expert networking team managed to come up with to help you meet the right people and know exactly what to say.
1. When meeting a potential employer, be sure to text, make phone calls, play mobile games, or anything else that make him or her think that you don’t really need the job.
2. Know where people in your field gather. If you’re trying to get into the business world, board a yacht. If you’re trying to get into entertainment, join a synagogue.
3. Have a strong social media presence, but don’t post anything illegal or incorrect or opinionated or insipid or entertaining.
4. Many people forget to keep a resume with them at all times. To avoid making this mistake, tattoo your CV to your chest.
5. Try constructing an android who can take your place and do all the networking stuff for you.
6. It’s important to make yourself heard. Keep a megaphone with you at all times.
7. Never break eye contact. People are more likely to remember you if you creep them out.
8. 90% of all communication is done through body language, so if you’re a gaseous entity or a disembodied consciousness from an ethereal plane then try extra hard to speak succinctly.
9. Do what you can to stand out from the crowd, like wear a suit made out of LED lights or aluminum foil or nothing at all.
10. Don’t forget that having large breasts is a skill.
11. When meeting someone important, use the word “synergy” at least ten times so he or she knows that you know what it means.
12. Follow up with contacts you’ve already made, even if that means emailing them every hour.
13. Always remember that it’s not who you know, it’s whom you know.
DISCLAIMER: Circus Killer News is a faux news blog. None of the stories on this site should be taken seriously or literally.