The Oscars are this Sunday and the buzz has already started. Millions of Americans will be switching on their TVs to see their favorite stars, glitzy performances, and those nerds who win “Sound Design” or whatever. But there are some things about the Academy Awards that you might not know, for example that the Academy Awards and the Oscars are the same thing. Here are 12 more insane facts about the Oscars:
1. The first Oscar statues were anatomically correct. The non-gender-conforming model that is used today is the result of a petition by Jane Fonda.
2. Initially the Academy Awards ceremony began as a means of thinning out the Hollywood elite. Winners would be killed and have their skin converted into film.
3. Oscars are only coated in gold. They’re dark chocolate on the inside.
4. It is expected that by the year 2050, the “Best Picture” category will hold 35 nominees.
5. “Oscar Sunday” is one of the biggest days for gambling. People bet on everything from who will win certain awards to which actresses will cry the most to whether or not James Franco is wearing underwear.
6. Steven Spielberg is given an Award for “Best Director” every year.
7. 84% of men say they only watch the Oscars for the dresses.
8. Leonardo DiCaprio gave a poor tip to a gypsy who was working as a waitress. She cursed him, and he has never won an Oscar since.
9. It is rumored that the Academy will host a second awards ceremony next year that will be exclusively for minorities. The two ceremonies will be completely separate, but still equal.
10. Most winners are actually determined by a psychic octopus.
11. Every time NBC hosts the Oscars, they get cancelled mid-ceremony.
12. Nicolas Cage has won more Oscars than anyone else in film history, and film future.
DISCLAIMER: Circus Killer News is a faux news blog. None of the stories on this site should be taken seriously or literally.